Thursday, January 24, 2013

Review and Swatches: Urban Decay Naked Palette



I know this review is coming too late, too long after the launch of Urban Decay Naked Palette. Especially after 2 more Naked Palette, namely Naked Palette 2 and Naked Palette Basics being launched not long ago. However, I'm still dying to write my first review for a beauty product and the Urban Decay Naked Palette is the product that I always had in mind to review first! I don't know why i procrastinated so much, but it's finally happening.

Please be nice and expect less! Haha, I'm doing this with my best efforts and I'm extremely apologetic for the poor photos taken :/ Really hope this amateur review filled with my humble opinions of the product is able to help someone or anyone with information they need to know about the product. If the information you need is not stated here, feel free to drop a comment and I'll do my best to help!


So here goes!

Texture
Urban Decay is really well known for its "buttery, soft and moist" textured eyeshadows and it's no exception for their well coveted Naked Palette. If you try to swatch the colours of the eyeshadows with your finger, you will realise that your finger picks up the product easily, without using any force and just enough for a decent stoke on your forehand for the swatch.

The soft texture of the product makes the application easy and effortless! Blending is relatively easy with or without the brushes.

Do note that the "frostier" colours have a softer texture compared to the Satin and Matte colours in the Naked Palette. Not complaining though. However that would also mean that try not use too much strength when you dip your brush, or your finger into the palette when picking up the product as you make pick up too much of it. 

Durability
Personally, I do not have oily lids. When I wear the colours from the Naked Palette, they give me a good 6-8 hours wear, without having to use a primer. Because the texture of the product is so finely milled and soft, it adheres to the skin really well.

The longer I wear the eyeshadow for the day, the more I love it's colours on my lids. I prefer the "settled down" look of the eyeshadow on my eyelids as compared to the "freshly applied, clean and neat" look. The colours look softer and more glowy!

Swatches and Description of the colours 
Note: All photos are taken with indoor lighting (Left: Without Flash Right: With Flash)
         


 Top to bottom: Naked, Sin, Virgin

Naked (Matte): Light to medium brown. I feel that this is an extremely wearable colour in the palette. It is really good as an all over base colour with a slightly darker matte colour to go over the crease to create a slightly more defined eye. As mentioned earlier on, texture is slightly harder than the frostier colours but it still applies smooth. However, personally I feel that you need more of the product to show the colour payoff compared to the other colours in the palette.

Sin (Champagne/Frosty): Slightly pinkish toned and relatively frosty as you can see from the image with the flash. Will look amazing on ladies with cool skintone. Not one of the favourite colour I would use on my entire eyelids as it washes me out. I wouldn't say my skin tone is cool, but not too warm either. I'm sort of an in between. It would be great to highlight the inner tear duct area. Texture is soft and buttery.

Virgin (Satin): A nude colour with slight beige undertone. Gives a nice sheen and it is a great colour to use for highlighting the brow bone without drawing too much attention but only with use of a very very light hand. Not matte, but gives a nice glow to it. Texture is in between the Matte and Frostier colours. Application is still extremely smooth.



Top to bottom: Half Baked, Buck, Sidecar

Half Baked (Frost): One of the most gorgeous golden brown colours I have ever seen and it is a really warm brown. It is extremely frosty and looks metallic. It is a really great colour to choose for a warm, brown smoky eye, with a darker brown colour blended together with it. Unfortunately the colour swatch is not exactly true to the colour in the pan as it appears slightly pinkish here. You might refer to the first picture of the post, which showcases all 12 colours together. You should be able to see that is a golden brown colour. The texture is extremely soft, buttery and smooth.

Buck (Matte): Medium to Dark Brown. Slightly warmer than Naked. I love to use this over the crease when I use Naked all over my lid to create an entirely matte look for the eye. Texture is similar to Naked.

Sidecar (Frost with small glitter particles): One of my favourite colour in the palette. It looks rather cool toned in the pan but it applies as a light to mid tone nice rosy-brown, with soft and subtle glitter to reflect light. Looks great when settled down. It glows. I personally feel that using Sidecar all over the lid is a really simple but pretty look. Texture is soft and buttery.


Top to Bottom: Toasted, Darkhorse, Smog

Toasted (Frost):
It looks very similar to that of Sidecar according to my swatches but Toasted is quite different from Sidecar. It is darker and a relatively pinky brown colour, compared to Sidecar which looks less pinkish. It does not have glitter and is solely frosty and metallic looking. This is my absolute favourite colour in the pan and I have created a dent in this colour. This colour is very flattering on my skintone and I absolutely adore it. I personally feel that this is a colour that is both suitable for warm or cool skin tone. Frankly speaking, I really can't decide if it has a cool or warm undertone to it. On first look, it comes across as a cool colour but at second look, it feels warm. Baffled. Texture is great, like all the frostier colours.

Darkhorse (Shimmery Satin): It is a more neutral toned dark brown with very finely milled golden glitters embedded with it. It is a really really pretty dark brown colour. A great colour to use to add to the crease to create more depth. Texture is soft and buttery.

Smog (Frost): It is a much warmer brown compared to Darkhorse and it is a nice bronze colour. This is the colour I go to when I intend to go for a nice, warm look. Personally feel that it complements both warm and cool skintones as well!

Top to Bottom: Gunmetal, Creep, Hustle

Gunmetal (Metallic): I don't find Gunmetal as frosty as colours like Halfbaked and Sidecar, but it is more shimmery than satin. It is a cool toned bluish, dark grey metallic colour. I rarely use this colour unless I am going for a dark smoky eye look. However this colour is really stunning. Texture is not as soft as Halfbaked, but still smooth and buttery.

Creep (I'm not really sure but it feels like a Matte base blended with very fine shimmer): Not exactly solid black but it is a nice twist to the matte and plain old black. It personally took me about two layers to get to the dark "black" colour reflected in the swatch but I guess that the problem with all "black" eyeshadows. You never really get a full on opaque black colour with just one swipe.
Texture is slightly harder but it is still smooth on application. It is a great colour to use to line the lashline to create a softer "eyeliner" look.

Hustle (Satin): More inclined towards the cooler toned side compared to Darkhorse if you compare it in the pan. It lacks the shimmer particles present in Darkhorse. You can see a little bit of purplish plum undertone. A good colour to match with Toasted as both of them have similar undertone. Texture is very similar to Darkhorse.

Personally, I feel that the colour payoff of the Urban Decay Naked Palette eyeshadows are amazing and really, a little goes a long way. Not much of the product is needed and it really reflects well on photos and in person. Considering that little product is needed each time you use it, the longevity of the product is really long lasting. This palette gives a good mix of cool and warm neutrals that allows you to recreate a understated Twiggy look to a really chic and modern Olsen Twin look.

However, I feel that there are not enough Matte colours in the palette (Too many frosty and shimmery colours). That wouldn't really be a problem since they launched the Naked Basics - with is a matte neutral palette. But I really wouldn't have the money to spend on that considering that I own both Naked and Naked 2 palette already. Sigh.

I apologise that the some of the colour swatches are not exactly a good representation of the colours but I do hope that this review was entertaining and helpful in anyway!

Till the next beauty product review, have a great day ahead!

No comments: